The pattern is adapted from one I made Junior year of college, but in that case the 'shrug' pieces were hand painted twill (not a knit). There also wasn't a giant waistband, and I remember a crazy serger mishap that sent the hemline into dangerous territory. Needless to say, I never wore that version.
|sketch. I thought I'd have to use scraps once I got to the bodice (hence the stripes), but ended up being able to use the hood for the main bodice piece. I like the simpler look.|
|final product. After basting the original pleats, I switched them up to be a little more dramatic.|
|I decided to partially keep the pockets for detail on the back. I applied twill tape to the shoulder seams & back of neck, front neckline and sleeve edges.|
|I usually can't handle a v-shape in this area, but I acquiesced to the limitations on fabric. Goober.|
|...BUT I like the side seams! They echo the v-shape toward the front and help it not to look like a mistake. The back skirt panels used to be very worn-in sweatshirt sleeves. As you can see, the elbow area ended up hitting right underneath my butt. Cute.|