/chambray tova dress

9.17.2013




Hooray! I'm pretty excited about this trans-seasonal Tova dress. I chose the pattern as part of a prize I won from Kollabora last year, so it's about time I got around to making it! I was super excited to get sewing when I received the pattern (I had my eye on it a long time before that), but never got my hands on the right fabric(s) until recently.


I used Robert Kaufman
chambray in indigo and
dot chambray in indigo.
You may recognize the dot chambray from the last project I posted. I had just enough to accent this dress, and just the right amount of the plain chambray (1.25 yds). I did plan for the two projects when ordering fabric, but didn't know just how close I'd come! WHewewww.


As much as I enjoy a good detailed sewing project, I was glad to make this one with the only notions used being thread and interfacing!




I wanted a bit more interest at the collar/neckline, so I added a collar and curved the corners of the existing collar so it acts as a stand. I thought about cutting the upper collar longer to reach farther on the stand, but didn't want it to get too big and seventies costume-y. The proportions still ended up a little funny, but the collar situation is definitely growing on me.

The front pieces are underlined with the solid. This is my first Tova, and I'll definitely be underlining all future versions of this pattern this way. Since the front placket naturally falls open, it's got to be pretty on the inside!


I lengthened the whole thing by a couple of inches and shortened the sleeves so they could be rolled up to a nice length. I really can't stand layering pieces with 3/4 length sleeves and knew this one would be almost exclusively layered this fall & winter. (Not today though! Today I wore it as pictured, with the perfect bag, I might add.) I considered making tabs with buttons to keep them rolled but I thought it might be too much detail in that area? Maybe not. I don't want to stitch the rolls in place though, as I'm fond of the tousled look (more tousled than in these photos, for sure). The pressed cuff look always turns into the tousled roll look by the end of the day anyway.

Loooving wearing this easy dress and am super excited to wear it at the apple orchards this fall. Anyone have more pattern recommendations for my fave season, or nice cool-weather standbys?



No comments:

Post a Comment

seymour.
Blog design by Labina @ Plexicod.