/woodburning

8.08.2011


A few days ago I was going through the closet in my sewing room and found this old woodburning pen! I was a little scared to plug it in (I don't like it when things blow up), but after doing so was relieved to find it was in good working order.














 Let me tell you, woodburning is tricky business. That humble looking pen gets really, really (like, really) hot. This means one must keep their hands up on the black band around the pen if they'd like their skin to stay intact, making control kind of difficult.


I remembered I'd bought a couple of wood plaques at a craft store a few years ago with the intention of painting something cute on them. An illustration might be super cute for the next one, but this time I thought something with a lot of straight lines might be best for a steep learning curve (no practice wood). After brainstorming a variety of succinct Avett Brothers lyrics, I went to it! I think it's obvious which letter I started with (hah, that d is awful!). There are obviously spots that could be cleaned up, but I like the overall look! There's a certain charm when something looks like it was done by a 4th grader, right?



fun facts (?): the art of woodburning is called pyrography. and yes, woodburning is one word.





In other news, I put together a muslin version of the Macaron. The sleeves are amazing, definitely my favorite part!

My official self-imposed deadline is October 6th, so it might be a bit of a wait.
If there were no weddings, I would honestly never get any sewing done for myself!

 

2 comments:

  1. that wood burning turned out neat! If you want to keep practicing, I should bring over a little somethin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my uncle used to do woodburning, it was soo neat. and i can't wait to see how your macaron turns out! once i get through my "to sew" pile, that is the first pattern i want to buy

    ReplyDelete

seymour.
Blog design by Labina @ Plexicod.